If you want to attain the best results from dry brushing then it is important to keep the following things in mind:
- Certain foods are helpful in attaining a more beautiful skin which includes organically grown vegetables, animal-based omega-3 fats, and a potent antioxidant knows an astaxanthin which is a daily supplement that can provide protection to your skin against the sun damage.
- Use the least amount of soap or just avoid using it especially in winters because it adds up to the dry skin.
- Use a natural body scrub to exfoliate your skin.
- Do not use baby or mineral oil after the bath for the massage. The best kind of oil in this regard will be coconut oil.
- Do not apply a lot of pressure on the brush because, after the session, your skin must be pink, not red.
- It is better to avoid brushing on sensitive areas like the face or keep a special more delicate brush for them.
- Here is a simple cleaning process you can easily use:
1. Pour 2-3 drops of essential oil in a bowl of water(room temperature). Don’t overfill it. The level of the water shouldn’t be higher than the height of the bristles. The wood should not get wet. The essential oil is antibacterial – you can use aegle, ageratum, citronella, eucalyptus, geranium, lemongrass, orange, palmarosa, patchouli or peppermint essential oil. )
2. Place the brush (without the long handle) in the bowl, bristles facing down, such that only the bristles get damped, but not the wood. It helps to move the brush around in the water to get the essential oil mixed and running through the bristles. Do this for 1 minute.
3. Repeat the above process, but this time using just water with no oil – to rinse the brush.
4. Shake off any last excess bristles with your hand if necessary.
5. Take the brush out and dry it. You can use towels, let it just hang in sun or use the hairdryer. Some people say you can put it in your dryer, with your clothes, but I wouldn’t expose it to humidity, even if it is low.
You can use this 5 step cleaning process every once in a while, in order to clear any dead skin and kill the bacteria on the brush.
It is always better to go with natural ways of bringing shine to your skin, getting rid of body toxins, and also shedding a few extra pounds. Dry brushing will help in doing all of this while costing you close to nothing. Take some time out of your routine for yourself so that your health can benefit in ways greater than you can ever imagine.